|Chef Boy-R-Bob Chili Verde||
Recipe type: green chili
Prep time: 30 mins
Cook time: 3 hours
Total time: 3 hours 30 mins
- 2 1/2 lbs of pork tenderloin cut into 3/8 to 1/2 inch cubes
- 2 tbs bacon fat
- 1 cup of diced onion
- 4 cloves of garlic, pressed
- 4 jalapeno peppers seeded and chopped
- 2 green chilies seeded and chopped
- 4 serrano peppers thinly sliced
- 1 lb of green chilies (canned or frozen), divided in half
- 1 14 oz. can of chicken broth
- 1 14 oz. can green enchilada sauce
- 1 7oz. can green salsa verde
- 1 tbs cumin
- 1 tbs powdered green jalapeno
- 2 tsp powdered green chili
- 2 tsp. corn starch for thickening
- Salt to taste
- Tabasco green pepper sauce (as needed for heat)
- In a 6 quart pot, brown the pork in the bacon fat.
- Add the remaining ingredients (using only half of the frozen or canned green chilies *) to the pot and simmer for 2 hours. You may need to add some water during the cooking time to keep the mixture covered.
- With 30-40 minutes of cooking time left add the remaining green chilies. *
- minutes before the end of the cooking period adjust the thickness, salt and heat.
Allow for 3 hours of cooking time.
*the salt level drops each time you add the green chilies so be sure to add salt each time.