Bronco Bob's Chili
A medium hot, flavorful red chili.
Author: Robert Wetzel
Recipe type: red chili
- 1 cup onion, chopped
- 1 canned green Hatch chile, chopped
- 1 tablespoon minced garlic
- ½ cup El Pato tomato sauce
- 1 tablespoon tomato paste
- 1 can chicken broth
- 8 tablespoons California chili powder*, divided
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 1½ teaspoons Accent, divided
- 1 teaspoon Tabasco sauce
- 2½ pounds Tri Tip beef, cubed
- 4 ounces pork sausage
- 2 tablespoons New Mexico chili powder*
- 3 tablespoons of cumin, cumin
- 1 tablespoon hot New Mexico chili powder*
- 2 teaspoons of lime juice
- In chili pot, combine onion, green chili, garlic, tomato sauce, tomato
- paste, chicken broth, 6 tablespoons California chili powder, salt, 1
- teaspoon Accent, and Tabasco sauce. Bring to a simmer. Cook 1 hour.
- Brown beef and sausage and set aside.
- Add the remaining 2 tablespoons of California chili powder to the chili
- Add the beef and sausage. Simmer for 30 minutes, adding more chicken
- broth as needed.
- Add the New Mexico chili powder and 2 tablespoons cumin to the chili pot
- and simmer another 45 minutes.
- Add the remaining Accent, cumin, hot chili powder and lime juice to
- chili pot. Cook for 30 minutes, adding chicken broth as needed. Salt to taste.
*Winner Bob Wetzel orders his spices from Sespe Creek Chili Potters, run by former ICS champion Jim Beaty. You can substitute spices from Penderys, Gebhardt, or your favorite manufacturer. Bob also adds ½ of a boneless pork chop to the chili pot while simmering and removes it a half hour before it's finished.