Dog Breath Chili
This is a spicy, flavorful red chili that earned rave reviews from the judges for its exceptional depth and robust blended character,
Author: Doug Wilkey of Shoreline, Washington
Recipe type: red chili
- 6 ounces breakfast sausage
- 2 teaspoons vegetable oil
- 3 pounds tri-tip beef, cut into small pieces or ground coarsely
- 1 medium onion, finely chopped
- 1 can (14.5 oz) beef broth
- ¼ teaspoon oregano
- 3 tablespoon cumin
- 7 cloves garlic
- 2 tablespoons Gebhardt(R); chile powder
- 1 tablespoon hot chile powder
- 1 tablespoon mild chile power
- 5 tablespoons red chile powder
- 1 can (8 oz) Hunt’s(R); Tomato Sauce
- 1 can (10 oz) Ro*Tel(R); Diced Tomatoes and Green Chilies
- 3 Dried California chile peppers, boiled and pureed
- 1 Dried New Mexico chile peppers, boiled and pureed
- 5 Dried Cascabel chile peppers, boiled and pureed
- ½ teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1 can (14½ oz) chicken broth
- 1 teaspoon Tabasco Pepper Sauce
- 1 teaspoon brown sugar
- juice of one lime
- salt to taste
- Brown the sausage, dry, and set aside.
- Heat oil in a pot, and brown the beef.
- Add the cooked sausage to the pot. Add the onion and beef broth to
- cover the meat. Boil for 15 minutes.
- Add oregano and half of the cumin.
- Reduce heat to a light boil, and then add the garlic.
- Blend the chile powders together, then add half to meat mixture, and cook 15 minutes.
- Add the tomato sauce and Ro*Tel tomatoes with the puree from the dried peppers.
- Add the chicken broth for the desired consistency. Cook for one hour, stirring often.
- Add remaining chile powder mixture and remaining cumin, and simmer on low to medium heat for another 25 minutes.
- Turn up the heat to a light boil, then add the Tabasco, cayenne pepper, brown sugar, lime juice and salt.