|J.R.’s Rough and Ready Chili|
Recipe type: red chili
Prep time: 20 mins
Cook time: 3 hours 30 mins
Total time: 3 hours 50 mins
- 3 pounds beef tri-tip, chopped
- 2 ounces sausage
- 1 ounce rendered beef fat
- 1 medium onion, diced
- 1 tablespoon garlic powder
- 1 green Ortega pepper, remove seeds and dice fine
- 1/2 ounce salt
- 1/4 teaspoon fine black pepper
- 2 ounces Gebhardt(R) chili powder
- 1/2 ounce California chili powder
- 1/2 ounce New Mexico powder
- 1/2 ounce cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon pequin powder
- 1 – 2 14 ounce cans chicken broth
- 1 six ounce can Hunt’s(R) Tomato Sauce
- 1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- Tabasco sauce to taste
- Saute green pepper and onion in rendered beef fat in a 3 quart pot.
- Add garlic powder and half of the chili powder.
- Add half a can of chicken broth, mix well and set aside.
- Brown sausage and beef in a skillet about one pound at a time.
- Drain and add meat to onion mix.
- Add remaining chili powder and remaining chicken broth.
- Cook for 30 minutes on low heat.
- Add tomato sauce, cumin, cayenne pepper and pequin powder.
- Add more broth as needed and cook until meat is tender, about 2 to 3 hours.
- Add a dash of Tabasco sauce if needed for heat.