Southern Chili Georgia Style
One of the easier red chilis
Author: Georgia Weller
Recipe type: red chili
- 4 Tbsp California chili powder
- 3 Tbsp Gebhardts chili powder
- 1 Tbsp Pasilla chili powder
- 1 Tbsp Chimayo chili powder
- 2 ½ Tbsp cumin
- 1 Tbsp granulated garlic
- 1 Tbsp onion powder
- ½ tsp Cayenne powder
- 2 tsp salt
- 3# Tri-Tip roast or Chuck Tender cut in small chunks
- 1 15 oz can of beef broth (Swansons)
- 1 15 oz can of chicken broth (Swansons)
- 1 10 oz can of tomato puree (Hunts)
- 2 Green Chiles – from a 4 oz can of whole ones - blended
- Tabasco to taste
- Salt to taste
- Combine first 9 ingredients for spice mix. Reserve 4 Tbsp of mix and set
- aside. Divide the remaining amount into 2 equal parts.
- In chili pot, combine beef broth, chicken broth, tomato puree and ½ of
- remaining spice mix.
- In skillet, brown the meat, drain and add to chili pot.
- Cook for about 1½ hours.
- Add other ½ of spice mix and blended green chiles and simmer for an
- additional hour.
- Add reserved 4 Tbsp of spice mix and cook a ½ hour more or until meat is tender.
- Adjust salt if necessary.
- Add Tabasco to taste.