Eating Out: Where to Find Killer Green Chili in Denver
Green chili (green chil-ee) n. a spicy stew made of chile peppers and other ingredients, often but not always including chunks of pork, tomato, and onion. Denver’s restaurants serve bowl after bowl of good green chili, stuff that ranges from merely spicy to flat-out nuclear. If you are looking for a great bowl of green, here are some top hotspots in the Mile High City, in no particular order.
1. Campus Lounge, 701 S. University Blvd. 303/722-9696: This popular sports bar near University of Denver serves a wicked green that is good by itself or on quesadillas or nachos.
2. Brewery Bar II, 150 Kalamath St. 303/893-0971: Inconspicuously nestled in a warehouse district, the Brewery Bar serves up some of the hottest green chili in Denver. It also happens to be some of the tastiest. It is not thickened, has a bit of tomato in it, and large chunks of pork.
3. Jack-N-Grill, 2524 N. Federal Blvd. 303/964-9544: Good flavor and just-right amount of hot, Jack makes an excellent green chili. It is strictly New Mexico style – heavy on the green chiles, no tomatoes. For one of the best deals in town, try one of his $2 breakfast burritos, served all day.
4. Little Anita’s, 1550 S. Colorado Blvd. 303/691-3337: Relatively new in Denver, this established Albuquerque favorite cooks up a mean green chili from a strip mall in southeast Denver, some of the best vegetarian.
5. Lime, 1424 Larimer St. 303/893-5463: Almost too hip for its own good, Larimer Square’s Lime eschews pork for chicken and dresses up the bowl with tortilla strips. Defying tradition tastes pretty good.
6. La Loma, 2527 W. 26th 303/433-8300: Their green chili is a medium-thick stew, full of large chunks of soft pork, showing not a trace of cornstarch sheen, and redolent with tomatillos, jalapenos, a hint of cumin, some oregano and a touch of garlic.
7. Cherry Cricket, 2641 E 2nd Ave, Denver, CO 80206 (303) 322-7666.
Famous for their green chili, as well as their hamburgers. Map it
8. Rosa Linda’s Mexican Cafe, 2005 W 33rd Ave, Denver, CO (303) 455-0608
Another considered legendary for green chili.
9. Denver Diner, 740 W Colfax Ave, Denver, CO 80204 (303) 825-5443.
Their green chili has been described as “amazing.”
Denver Metro Area
1. Efrain’s Mexican Restaurant, 101 E. Cleveland, Lafayette, 303-666-7544
Efrain’s II, 1630 N. 63rd, Louisville 303-440-4045
Efrain’s serves a hot New Mexico style chili – big chunks of pork, lots of green chiles, no tomato, not thickened, so it is definitely soupy.