Recipe type: Salsa
Prep time: 15 mins
Cook time: 5 mins
Total time: 20 mins
Serves: 4 cups
This is my adaptation of Jeremy Crum’s recipes. It has a wonderful fresh, tangy taste from those tomatillos. I put this on just about everything – eggs, chips, chicken, you name it. I made this with Mirasol chiles and just a touch of jalapenos as the Mirasols are pretty hot.
- 12 – 13 tomatillos, quartered (~6 cups)
- 1 cup coarsely chopped white onion
- 3 cloves garlic
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 1 cup green chiles
- 1-2 jalapenos
- 1-2 serranos
- 1 tbsp rice wine vinegar
- 1 tsp sugar
- 1 cup cilantro
- salt to taste
- Sautee tomatillos on high heat 2-3 minutes, then
- add onions & garlic & cook on medium until
- slightly browned – about 3 more minutes.
- Blend in blender with green chiles, vinegar and sugar.
- Add and blend jalapenos and serranos a bit at a time
- to adjust heat to taste.
- Add cilantro & blend.
- Refrigerate until ready to serve, no more than 2-3 days.