Chipotle Green Chili
This is based on a recipe from Rick Johnson of Ratcliff, Arkanasas. It is easy and just a touch smokey (unless you add the full 3 tsp chipotle, and it will be a lot smokey).
Author: Anita Edge
Recipe type: green chili
- 1½ to 2 lbs pork, cut into ¾" chunks
- 1½ cups chopped tomatillos
- 2 cups chopped sweet onion (about 1½ onions)
- 8 - 10 cloves garlic, minced
- 4 tbsp olive oil, divided
- ⅓ cup flour
- 1 tsp pepper
- 1 tsp oregano
- 3 15 oz cans chicken broth
- 2 cans Rotel diced tomatoes with chiles (or Hatch Select) *
- 16 oz (2 cups) Hatch Hot diced green chiles
- 12 oz (1½ cups) whole mild green chiles
- 1 cup chipotle salsa (I used Safeway brand) **
- 1 to 3 tsp diced chipotle chiles in adobo sauce (to taste)
- Place flour and 1½ tsps cumin in a plastic bag and shake, then add the pork and shake until thoroughly coated. Add 3 tbs of oil and shake again until uniformly coated.
- Brown the meat mixture with onions, garlic and 1 tbsp oil in large skillet over medium heat, stirring regularly.
- Meanwhile, put 1 can chicken broth and the hot chiles in a blender and puree to desired consistency. (I like it a bit lumpy.) Pour into crockpot (or large dutch oven) with tomatillos, diced tomatoes, salsa, pepper, oregano, 1 tsp cumin, and 1 tsp diced chipotle in adobo sauce. Turn crockpot on low or put dutch oven over a medium flame.
- Note: If you want to be careful about how hot it comes out, hold off on at least half of the hot chiles, then add them (or mild chiles instead) at the very end.
- Put another can of chicken broth into blender, add the mild green chiles, then blend on low in a few short, quick bursts to get a very coarse puree with some 1" to 2" strips or chunks of chile still intact. Hey, this adds some nice chunky texture.
- Pour this mild chile puree into the crockpot (or dutch oven). Taste, and if it is the right amount of heat, add the remaining chicken broth and cook on low for 3-4 hours.
- Adjust heat and taste any time in the 3-4 hour period by adding hot or mild chiles and more chipotle.