I’ve been buying Costco’s Chicken Alfredo for years … particularly when it goes on sale. It’s $3 off this month through August 8. It’s in the Costco prepared food section right next to their rotisserie chickens. I was about to pop it in the oven again this week, and it hit me just how good green chiles would be in it. Duh!! And it was even better than I expected. Basically, I just added diced green chiles and extra grated parmesan cheese and it’s instantly transformed into a more elegant dish.
Don’t go to Costco? Well, any grocery store has alfredo sauce next to the spaghetti sauces. You can just buy cooked chicken strips in the frozen foods section, cook up about 12 ounces of penne pasta, a 15 oz jar of alfredo sauce, and a half cup of shredded romano cheese. Mix the sauce and pasta, place in a 8″x8″ baking dish, layer on 1 cup of diced green chiles then the chicken then the shredded romano cheese, and bake at 350 degrees for about a half hour. That’s about 2 lbs and the Costco Chicken Alfredo runs about 4 lbs.
- 1 tray of Costco Chicken Alfredo (about 4 lbs)
- 2 cups diced green chiles (either mild or hot are good)
- 1 cup shredded parmesan / romano blend cheese
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees.
- Remove the chicken from the top of the tray of Chicken Alfredo and set aside.
- Spread the green chiles over the top of the noodles/alfredo mixture. You may prefer to mix the chiles in with the noodles.
- Note: I prefer to spread the noodle/alfredo mixture in a baking dish. For the entire tray, a 9"x13" dish is good. In the photo, you see a single serving in its own 2-cup oven-proof baking dish. I fill each about half full, so each serving is about a cup. This way I can serve it in the dish it's baked in, which also keeps it warm very nicely.
- Top the noodle/alfredo/green chile mixture with the chicken and the spread half the grated cheese evenly on top.
- Cover with foil (or the lid if there is one) and bake for about 40 minutes (per directions on the Costco tray lid) or 20 minutes for the small baking dishes.
- Remove from oven, take off the foil, sprinkle remaining cheese on top and bake for 10 more minutes or until cheese is nicely melted.