Calabacitas is one of my very favorite dishes – I could just about live on nothing but this. I discovered it years ago at Jack-n-Grill and then went looking for recipes. Little Anita’s used to have a smothered calabacitas burrito that I absolutely loved. It’s just full of a perfect combination of flavors and textures. Plus it’s nutritious. I make this all the time. And it’s very easy to make.
This recipe is from Southwest Flavors: Santa Fe School of Cooking, one of my favorite cookbooks. The recipe calls for topping it with shredded Monterrey Jack cheese, but I usually leave the cheese off – it’s great either way.
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- ½ cup chopped onion
- 2 tbsp minced garlic
- 2 cups diced zucchini
- 1 cup corn (fresh or frozen)
- ½ cup diced green chiles
- 1 tsp oregano
- ½ tsp salt
- optional: ½ cup shredded Monterrey Jack cheese
- Sautee onion in olive oil over medium heat for 1-2 minutes.
- Add garlic, zucchini, corn, chiles, oregano, and salt and cook, covered for about 3 more minutes.
- If desired, stir in or top with the shredded cheese.