This is one of our fabulous recipes featured in our free Super Bowl Favorite Recipes eCookbook. Download it here.
This is essentially the same very popular recipe as Meaty Garlicy Spicy Nachos that I published several years ago …. but I’ve altered it so that it’s easy to put on a buffet table so guests can assemble the nachos or tacos themselves. The earlier version was baked and had to be served immediately out of the oven. I had to double it as the last time I served it, it got almost completely eaten before we even put it on the buffet table.This is ideal for that perfect game day party.
Wondering about those orange & blue tortilla chips? You can buy them in the deli section at Safeway. Better hurry – they sell out quick!
- 2 lbs ground beef
- 8 large (or 12 medium) garlic cloves, minced
- 1 cup chopped onion
- 1 cup diced green chiles (hot)
- ½ to 1 tsp salt (to taste)
- ½ tsp pepper
- ½ tsp red chile flakes
- 1 bag tortilla chips (or taco shells or tortillas for soft tacos)
- 1 2-lb Kroger Nice'n Cheesy Queso Blanco with Jalapenos (or Velveeta regular or white)
- 1 can diced tomatoes and green chiles
- Toppings: shredded lettuce, diced tomatoes, chopped green onions, chopped avocado
- Cut block of Queso Blanco into chunks and place with diced tomatoes and chiles in slow cooker or saucepan on stove over medium-low heat to melt.
- Brown the meat with the garlic and onion. Drain.
- Add the salt, pepper, red chile flakes, and diced green chiles and cook another 2 minutes, mixing throroughly and adjusting seasoning to taste.
- If serving on a buffet, transfer meat to slow cooker and place on buffet table with serving spoon. Likewise, the Queso Blanco should also be in a slow cooker on the table with serving spoon.
- The toppings should be in serving bowls on the table so people can assemble their own nachos or tacos.
- If assembling yourself, spread tortilla chips on a serving platter or individual plates. Sprinkle meat on top, then pour the queso over. Sprinkle desired toppings over and serve.