I first had this at a party a few years ago … and it was amazing! Tangy, just-right spicy, and full of flavor. Plus, it’s low-fat, paleo, nutritious, perfect if you’re on just about any diet. And easy to make!
This basic recipe came from the cookbook Steamboat Entertains, and then I made some adjustments. I hope you like it as much as I do – I’ll be making it again and again!
- 3 14.5 oz cans chicken stock
- 1 cup cooked & shredded chicken
- ½ cup diced fresh tomato
- ½ tsp white pepper
- ½ cup fresh lime juice (about 3 limes)
- 1½ tbsp olive oil
- ¾ cup chopped red onion
- ¾ cup diced green chiles
- 1 medium jalapeño
- 1½ tsp pressed garlic (or minced)
- 1 lime slice per serving
- 6 corn tortillas
- optional: Picante sauce
- Bring first 5 ingredients to a boil in a 4 quart pot, then simmer 20 minutes.
- Sauté onion, chiles, jalapeño, and garlic in olive oil until onions are tender, then add to broth and simmer 30 minutes.
- Cut tortillas in strips and lightly fry in oil.
- Serve with a lime slice in each bowl and top with tortilla strips. Pass the picante sauce to season as desired.