Personally I thought this was a very good recipe and easy to make. But take note of the mixed reviews.
Here is my take on these reviews:
- One reviewer found this way too salty. Note it calls for celery salt. I mixed my own celery salt and I’m wondering if commercial celery salts vary in salt:celery seed proportions. I suggest cutting celery salt to 1/2 tsp and then adjust to taste at the end.
- The same reviewer found it came out like a thick mole. I agree – it is nearly a solid. That did not bother me as mine tasted really good, but many would say it does not qualify as green chili. I suggest adding at least 1 to 2 cups water or chicken broth.
- There are some questions about the green chili salsa and exactly what that is. Note there are 3 different types of green chili sauces: green chili sauce (which is like the green chili you are trying to make here but without pork), green chili salsa (usually labelled as salsa verde), and green enchilada sauce (which is smooth like red enchilada sauce and has a different flavor). I tested 3 different brands out – Safeway Salsa Verde, La Victoria Salsa Verde, and Herdez Salsa Verde. I do not recommend the Herdez, but Safeway and La Victoria were both very good.
|OLD NO.7 CHILI VERDE||
- SPICE MIX:
- 1 Tbsp minced garlic
- 2 1/2 Tbsp chicken base or bouillon
- 1 tsp celery salt
- 1 Tbsp flour
- 2 tsp dried oregano
- 1 Tbsp cumin
- 1 Tbsp dried cilantro or cup finely chopped fresh cilantro
- 3 Tbsp green chile powder
- 2 tsp canola oil
- 2 lbs pork tenderloin, cut into small cubes
- 1 cup chopped onion
- 1 1/2 cups chicken broth
- 1 1/4 cups (10 ounces) canned green chili salsa
- 20 ounces canned chopped green chiles
- Dash of Tabasco Green Pepper Sauce
- In a small bowl, combine spice mix ingredients. In a large pot over medium heat, gently brown pork in oil. Drain.
- Add onion and chicken broth to pot and simmer over medium heat for 1 hour, stirring often.
- Add spice mix and salsa and simmer for 1 hour. Add green chiles, Tabasco, and salt to taste. Continue simmering for 1 more hour.
- Garnish with pepper jack cheese.