These are great little appetizers perfect for that game day party – and very simple to make. They are basically a bite-sized form of a great chile mac and cheese recipe from reader Becky Buchanan that I published in 2008. Just pop them in your mouth and you’ll find they disappear in no time.
After making it in a pot on the stove you basically put shredded cheese in mini-muffin pans, scoop a spoonful of mac and cheese into each muffin cup, and top it with more shredded cheese and bake it. You can serve it either warm or cold. The extra cheese is important – without it these little babies fall apart. This is super simple to make – you just start with a box of mac and cheese, make as directed, and add mustard, chiles, and more cheese.
- 1 box macaroni & cheese
- butter & milk (per instructions on box)
- ½ cup diced green chiles
- 1 cup shredded cheese, divided in half
- 1 heaping tablespoon Grey Poupon Dijon mustard
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees. Spray non-stick mini muffin pan with cooking spray.
- Prepare macaroni & cheese per directions on the box.
- Add the green chiles, ½ cup shredded cheese, and mustard.
- Stir until cheese melts.
- Put a pinch of shredded cheese into each muffin cup, then fill each cup with a spoonful of mac and cheese. Top with another layer of shredded cheese.
- Bake for 15 minutes or until brown around the edges.
- Let cool for 5 minutes, then lift each one out using a dull knife and set on a serving plate.
- If you want to serve warm, microwave for no more than a minute and serve. They are also good cold.